Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

THE MIAMI AND CAL EXPERIENCE Vs THE RETURN GUYANA EXPERIENCE

United States Homeland Security was less intimidating than I expected as I painfully walked in my heels,(keen not to show my discomfort, fashion is painful) to the security desk to get clearance into the Land of Liberty. It was an exhilarating experience although Miami was a bit too cold for my comfort. My week was wonderful.

I experienced the true respect of motorists as I waited to cross the Interstate
highway, enjoyed the comfort of walking and texting with my blackberry in public
without fear of being robbed and a wonderful shopping experience.

With slight regret but undue happiness I looked forward to come back to my beloved
country and enjoy some 'proper food'. However, I was late for my flight back to
Guyana on Saturday. Compounded by late arrival at the Miami International Airport,
wrong directions by an airport staff and a very overweight bag, I nearly missed my
flight. By the time I arrived at the Caribbean Airlines check-in desk I was informed
that the flight closed at 13:00 hrs and was scheduled to leave at 14:00 hrs.

Two helpful clerks quickly checked me in and rushed me to Concourse E, F, G, H and J
where I passed my security check and went into the plane. In a nutshell everything
went well for the first time flying and using Caribbean Airlines. At Cheddi Jagan
International Airport I was very happy when I saw baggage attendants lifting my
suitcase and helping other passengers (I was so tired from running and pulling my
luggage, I'm not sure I had any strength left.)

I have to say although Guyana is way behind in comparison to other third world and developed countries, I was cleared quickly and headed home. I thought "ah the end of a dramatic day," but boy was I wrong! First we were stopped and my friend was accused of not following traffic regulations by four Guyana Police officers from Kitty Police station.

The first thing out of the mouth of the driver was "what you gon do fuh youself'" to which my friend replied "let's go to the station." That was the end of the bribery request and we were allowed to go.

I figured because it was a BMW it "filled their eyes," like my mother would describe
greed. Sad to say that left me disappointed in our system. Imagine having people
from another country being so courteous to me when they have no obligation to,
along with others in Guyana who did their jobs with pride compared to Police force members who are paid with tax dollars. No wonder so many
Guyanese flee this country. Hopefully I won't have that same experience again but
that seems inevitable. I hope other force members prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment