Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

TOURISM

I just passed Hope, East Coast Demerara and was surprised (pleasantly so), at a sign put up by either the Ministry of Tourism or the Ministry of Agriculture identifying the nesting place of Hope beach birds.

I have to say, passing there very often I'm mesmerized by the beauty of these white cranes sitting atop mangrove tree branches. That is a beautiful sight and it is good to see the Government taking action to protect our wildlife. In the past these birds although they are not eaten, would be stoned and their nesting place disturbed or some killed.

Tourism is very important to Guyana's economy even though it is not that exposed to the world. I was reading a blog post by one of the BBC staff who produced the documentary 'Guyana, lost land of the Jaguar' on Sunday. The explorers found different species of caterpillars, frogs and fish and it occurred to me how little I really know about these animals and even my country. The golden frog and the dart frog are very fascinating animals and it gave me a sense of pride when I saw Tourism Minister Manniram Prashad presenting wooden craft of the macaw and the golden frog to Captain David Owen of the SAGA Pearl II

The cruise ship docked in Guyana on Sunday with 328 UK based tourists and 268 crew members. The ship was magnificent and breathtaking. Immaculate from the lower floor to the deck, I was impressed.

Guyana is relatively unknown to the world. I had to suppress a laugh when I was in Miami a few weeks ago. I was in Dolphin Mall with a fellow St Lucian Journalist trying to get some shoes for her Fiancé when a local asked me what is my accent. I said 'Guyanese' but he looked at me puzzled and asked again "ghanaese?". I couldn't laugh although I wanted to. Imagine Ghana, a poor African country is more well known than Guyana?

I did point out my country is located in South America and that struck a bell. I hope fascination will lead people to see this beautiful country and I hope all Guyanese play a part in marketing 'the Land of many waters' like the many persons not connected to it are doing.
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel

1 comment:

  1. Lol if I am to count the number of times that happened to me. I always seriously consider walking with a world map in my pocket, cause smart phones crawl on the web when you need them most.

    ReplyDelete